THE ADVENTURES OF A SENIOR MISSIONARY COUPLE IN ALASKA

This page is to update our activities for our children and grandchildren while we are in Alaska. If you happen onto this page and you don't fall in into the above category -- go ahead and snoop. You might even want to check out Mormon.Org and lds.org to find out what we are doing in Alaska.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

GUITARZAN


I purposely didn't bring my guitar with me on this mission. First of all, the instrument is way too valuable to me to be dragging it into the Great White North into the "Early Deseret Industries" conditions in which we are living. Additionally, I haven't been playing much for the last several years -- the reason thereof is another story. But, the last two or three months, I've gotten the hankering to pick again. I started looking for a classical guitar in Anchorage, but everything started at $500.00 and went up. Way too much money to satisfy a "hankering."

Last Saturday, we drove to Eagle River to return a sewing machine that Sister C. had borrowed to do some repairs and to make two blankets for newly born grandchildren. (The machine belongs to a young couple who moved from our ward into his parents' home.)We passed a pawn shop driving through town and I also noticed that there was a music store in the same strip mall. A few minutes later, we realized we'd gone too far and turned around. While coming back I suggested to Sister C. that we stop and check for a guitar. The pawn shop was closed, but the music store was open. They only had two classics hanging on the wall. One was a Yamaha and it was listed for $799.00. The other was a guitar made by a company in Chicago named Washburn. I played it for a couple of minutes, scoped the neck to make sure that it was not warped, and lastly, checked to see if the back and sides were make of laminated wood. Shazam! Solid wood! Long story short -- I purchased the guitar for $185.00, along with a case, a tuning fork and a new set of Savarez strings. A nice little investment all considered.


After putting the new strings on, the guitar has a very pleasing sound and I'm pleased a punch with the relatively inexpensive instrument. Now, like Ray Stevens, I feel like GUITARZAN!

Incidentally, the set of strings I purchased included a wrapped nylon G and D string -- just like a flamenco guitar. Needless to say, the sound in the treble is quite a bit brighter than the normal nylon strings.


A view from the top...
A view from the side and top...
The tuning head. Notice the unusual design with
the "hole" at the top. Not necessarily a classical
design, but "beauty is as beauty sounds."
A closer view of the top, the bridge, rosette, etc.
When I look at the name Washburn, I think of Washburn
Motors in Vernal -- shees!
Close view, upper half.
The back... Attractive grain and finish.
upper view...
Ain't she a beaut?
The pleased Elder C. playing one of his "songs."
The Lord didn't send me into mortality to make music
for others, but he didn't say I couldn't make music for myself.
The older I become, the more I look like my father.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to find such a great guitar. It was awesome listening to you play songs last weekend. We will cherish the memory.

    ReplyDelete