THE ADVENTURES OF A SENIOR MISSIONARY COUPLE IN ALASKA

This page is to update our activities for our children and grandchildren while we are in Alaska. If you happen onto this page and you don't fall in into the above category -- go ahead and snoop. You might even want to check out Mormon.Org and lds.org to find out what we are doing in Alaska.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

THE CHOCOLATE MOOSE -- NO, HE WASN'T A MEMBER

Elder Parker and I drove into the parking lot at the mission office two or three weeks ago, after talking with the bookkeeper at a local car repair place. We were talking to each other in the car when I realized we had a visitor meandering around our parking lot, looking for food (he may have been looking for a stray cow). I ran into the office, grabbed my camera and at the same time announced to everyone that there was a moose in the parking lot. EVERYONE went after a camera and followed the big boy around from door to door, taking pictures. Stupid me! I was outside (keeping my distance) and taking pictures like crazy.

He was a young bull (probably a yearling) with a small rack. What he lacked in rack, he made up for with size. He stood higher that the mission van -- the van is taller than I am, and I'm 6' 4". Since it was/is rutting season, I wasn't about to give him reason to charge. I hear that the bulls full of testosterone are pretty mean.


Here he is at the back of the parking lot.
snoop, snoop
looking - looking
I used the zoom lens on all of these.
Munch!
Keeping a wary eye on the humans.
small rack -- BIG BODY!!!
West side of the Strawberry Chapel.
He liked our bushes.
More breakfast.
Here he's walking to the front of the Church. I thought he'd 
just depart the premises.
But, no, he came around the building looking for more nutrition.
You can believe that whenever I go into the parking lot now, I survey the entire area to make sure that there isn't another bull, or a cow with a calf in the parking lot. We have a giant parking lot and no place to hide if one is dumping garbage. Somehow, an announcement that I was gored to death by a bull moose while I was emptying garbage at the mission office doesn't sound too heroic.

No comments:

Post a Comment